Thursday 11 December 2008

My story so far...


I was born and raised in Athens escaping quite often to my father’s hometown, Elika (pt m t3 "heaven on earth"), in South Peloponnese. I graduated from the National and Capodistrian University of Athens with a B.A. in Archaeology and History of Art, which provided me with the opportunity to pursue postgraduate studies abroad on the much neglected–in Greece–discipline of Egyptology. I spent six of my best years in England that affected me greatly, both personally and academically. I gained my doctorate in Egyptology from the School of Archaeology, Classics and Egyptology of the University of Liverpool in 2000, and then I received a post-doctoral fellowship from the Greek State Scholarship's Foundation. Since 2003, I am holding the first Egyptological position in Greek academia at the Department of Mediterranean Studies of the University of the Aegean (Rhodes), teaching Egyptology (archaeology, history, society, language and literature) and Near Eastern archaeology. I believe that the historical island of Rhodes, situated at the crossroads of two major sea routes of the Mediterranean between the Aegean Sea and the coast of Middle East and Egypt, is the ideal place for Egyptology to blossom. This is my intention and dream...
This blog is about Egyptology, focusing especially on the social and religious aspects of the Egyptian society, sacred architecture and literature, the Egyptian foreign and diplomatic relations with Greece and southeastern Mediterranean region in the 2nd and 1st millennium BC, Egyptian archaeology and epigraphy... This blog is also about the academy study of magic and the magical tradition from antiquity to modern times (an all time interest of mine!)... You will find posts, in English and Greek, on my current and future research activities and projects, announcements of symposiums, conferences, seminars and lectures in Greece and abroad, research opportunities and useful links for all those with a special interest in Egyptology, archaeology and ancient traditions..."Aegyptus deorum in terras suae religionis merito sola deductio, sanctitatis et pietatis magistra" (Asclepius 25).
Welcome on board!
Panagiotis

No comments: